With a little added caffeine kick, these wholesome mocha energy balls have been keeping me energised lately on my bike rides.
I personally find that homemade energy balls (or bars) are so much more satisfying than commercially available ones. I often pop a few into my jersey pocket when training or just out on a social ride with mates.
I’d created this recipe a few months ago but hadn’t gotten around to posting it. Since WholeEarth (my favourite peanut butter ever) shared it on their social media feed I’ve had plenty of requests for the recipe so here it is!
- 1 cup Mornflake oats
- ⅔ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp instant coffee powder*
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- ½ cup Whole Earth peanut butter
- ½ cup honey, warmed
- Stir all dry ingredients together into a large bowl
- Mix the peanut butter and honey together, pour over the dry ingredients and mix in well until well combined.
- Roll small handfuls of the mixture into desired ball shapes.
- Store in a airtight container in the fridge.
I used some TruStart coffee powder samples that were in my cupboard, which contain a guaranteed 95mg of caffeine per sachet (slightly less than a tablespoon). So while you aren’t going to get an enormous dose of caffeine from eating these energy balls (unless you eat the entire batch), they may give you a little bit of a buzz.