Eating for weight loss means more than just eating healthily. You need to consider the amount of food you eat and the food choices you make. In fact, many of us no longer know what makes a normal portion – a problem known as portion distortion.
Top tips to regain control of your portion sizes:
- Use smaller plates and bowls to serve your food. You’ll have a smaller portion and still feel satisfied.
- Veg or salad should cover half of your plate. Veg and salad are low in calorie and help to fill you up, leaving less room for higher-calorie ingredients.
- Eat slowly and chew your food well. It takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain you’re full. When you eat fast, it’s easy to overeat.
- Turn off the TV. Eating in front of the TV can mean you eat more without noticing or enjoying your food.
- Weigh your food. Use kitchen scales to weigh your ingredients before you cook. This will help you stick to the suggested serving sizes.
To find out more about how I can help you lose weight, book a FREE 15-minute telephone appointment with me https://www.cambridgedietitian.co.uk/contact/