Sheri works exclusively with adults in the community who have had a life-changing injury such as:
– brain injury/cerebral palsy
– spinal cord injury
– amputation or complex orthopaedic trauma
Clients are usually referred to Specialist Nutrition Rehab via their case manager or solicitor.
Clients are most commonly referred for:
– managing gut-related problems (eg. diarrhea, constipation, bloating, abdominal pain, irritable bowel syndrome)
– managing pre-diabetes or Type 2 diabetes
– healing pressure sores
– helping clients lose or gain weight
– helping clients with dysphagia (swallowing problems) come up with interesting and flavourful meal ideas
– helping clients with taste and smell loss
Sheri has a very holistic approach and initial assessments not only discuss someone’s weight and eating habits, but she also reviews blood test results and medical history and screens for issues around skin integrity, gut-related issues, swallowing problems, nausea/vomiting/reflux, oral health issues, mental health issues and physical activity. All of these factors can have a huge impact on someone’s eating habits. Assessments generally last 2 hours so there is lots of time to discuss what is going on and can accommodate any challenges someone may have with communication or cognitive functioning.
Appointments are offered as home visits at any time of day. Sheri is also happy to liaise with other members of the multi-disciplinary team (eg. Occupational Therapist) if required. Follow up can be conducted by video or secure chat messaging if distance is an issue. Clients also receive a written action plan after every appointment. Please get in touch for a free, no-obligation discussion of what your needs are and how a dietitian can help.